Menu Free Consult
Sherman 903-771-0857
Mckinney 214-385-4957

Do you want to modify your divorce decree?

After a divorce, there may be certain terms that may have to be modified if your situation has changed or new information has come to light. In Texas, almost all post-divorce modifications will require the approval of the court. In most cases, evidence supporting the reason for the request will have to be submitted.

Spousal Support

When it comes to spousal support, both the paying spouse and the receiving spouse can request an order modification to increase or decrease spousal alimony or maintenance, provided that the financial situation of either party has changed significantly. This is also true if an event has occurred that will affect how much income a party can earn.

In order to justify a change or no change in payments, both former spouses must to submit evidence showing how conditions have or have not changed. Some of the circumstances that can warrant a change in a spousal support order can include:

  • Onset of a serious health issue or disability that affects the ability to work
  • Loss of employment or reduction of income
  • Drastic change in living expenses
  • The receiving spouse began cohabitating with another person

Child Support

Child support is one of the most common reasons for modifying a divorce order. Both former spouses have to right to request a modification of the amount of child support payments in certain situations, including:

  • The cost of providing for the child has increased or decreased
  • The income for either parent has changed

Parenting Plan Agreements

Parenting plans reflect the parents' situation at the time of divorce, and changes are inevitable. A child's needs will change as he or she grows. For example, the needs of teenager are much different from those of an infant who is nursing. In order to address the current needs of a child, a modification may prove useful. Both parties can request a modified parenting plan that adjusts custody and visitation schedules so that they are more suitable to the child as well as the parents.

Regardless of why you are seeking changes to your divorce order, don't approach the situation without legal representation. Contact an experienced divorce modification attorney at the law firm of Nix|Poet for help.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.

Back To Top